All application materials due Nov. 1
- Identify an ETA researcher to mentor your proposed research:
Only after discussing with a proposed ETA research mentor, complete an application online at LBNL's Careers website (use "APPLY" button below).
After discussing with a mentor, send notification of intent to apply to ITRI-Rosenfeld-Fellowship@lbl.gov to receive instructions on how to submit the following required materials:
- See ETA's Research and Development topics
- Learn about ETA’s research groups on the organizational page
- Review the literature in your field
- Make contact with the ETA researcher(s) identified to discuss your research proposal and request their support of your candidacy for the fellowship. It will be helpful to send your CV and a description of your research interests in your initial contact with the researchers.
For the successful candidate only: The selected applicant must show proof of completion of their Ph.D. before their hire date. Examples of acceptable proof include the diploma or an original letter from the degree-granting institution's Graduate Division or Registrar's office confirming completion of all degree requirements. For a recently graduated individual who has not yet received their diploma (but has successfully defended their thesis paper), a thesis title page signed by all members of the thesis committee is acceptable as an interim measure until the diploma or an original letter from the degree-granting institution's Graduate Division or Registrar's office confirming completion of all degree requirements is available.
- Cover letter (1 page), briefly describing your background and experience as it relates to the research you propose, and your long-range career goals.
- Curriculum vitae (CV), including a list of 3 references on the final page. See "Letters of reference" below for inclusion criteria, and list the name, title/relationship to you (e.g., Committee Member, Research Collaborator), organizational affiliation and email address).
- Research proposal (approved by an ETA mentor). In 3 pages maximum (11-point Times New Roman font or equivalent), describe the significance and impact of the proposed research and the advantages of conducting this work with the ETA research mentor who has agreed to support the proposed research. Consider the alignment of the proposed research with the research, mission and goals of ETA. Include a title and bibliographical references, and list the name of the research mentor under the title of the document. References are excluded from the page count.
- Statement of support from potential research mentor: Applicants complete the top section of the Statement of Support from Research Mentor (PDF) form and email it to their potential research mentor at ETA.
- Letters of reference (3 letters): Letters from three referees are a critical part of the committee's evaluation of applications. One referee must be the thesis advisor and the other two should be researchers who are knowledgeable about the candidate's capabilities and research. Applicants must download and send the Letter of Reference Request (DOC) to each of the individuals listed as references in their CV.
- Summary of Ph.D. thesis (1 page limit)
- Transcripts: Unofficial transcripts downloaded from the candidate's academic institution are acceptable during the selection process.
Current LBNL employees, please apply here.