- Identify an EETD researcher to mentor your proposed research:
Only after coordinating with a proposed EETD research mentor, complete an application online at LBNL's Careers website and upload the following materials (as a single document or separately):
- See EETD's Research and Development topics
- Look over the links in the sidebar of EETD’s organizational page
- Review the literature in your field
- Make contact with the EETD researcher(s) identified to discuss your research proposal and request their support of your candidacy for the fellowship. It will be helpful to send your CV and a description of your research interests in your initial contact with the researchers.
Supply additional required application materials in an email to ITRI-Rosenfeld-Fellowship@lbl.gov by November 15:
- Curriculum vitae, which must include the names and email addresses for three references. One referee must be the thesis advisor and the other two should be researchers who are knowledgeable about the candidate's capabilities and research.
- Cover letter (1 page), briefly describing your background and experience as it relates to the research you propose, and your long-range career goals.
For the successful candidate only: The selected applicant must show proof of completion of their Ph.D. before their hire date. Examples of acceptable proof include the diploma or an original letter from the degree-granting institution's Graduate Division or Registrar's office confirming completion of all degree requirements. For a recently graduated individual who has not yet received their diploma (but has successfully defended their thesis paper), a thesis title page signed by all members of the thesis committee is acceptable as an interim measure [for 90 days from the date of hire] until the diploma or an original letter from the degree-granting institution's Graduate Division or Registrar's office confirming completion of all degree requirements is available.
- Summary of Ph.D. thesis (1 page limit)
- Research proposal (approved by an EETD mentor). In 3 pages maximum (11-point Times New Roman font or equivalent), describe the significance and impact of the proposed research and the advantages of conducting this work with the EETD research mentor who has agreed to support the proposed research. Consider the alignment of the proposed research with the research, mission and goals of EETD. Include a title and bibliographical references, and list the name of the research mentor under the title of the document. References are excluded from the page count.
- Statement of support from potential research mentor: Applicants complete the top section of the Statement of Support from Research Mentor (DOC) form and email it to their potential research mentor at EETD. The completed statement of support is due by November 15.
- Transcripts: Unofficial transcripts downloaded from the candidate's academic institution are acceptable during the selection process.
- Letters of reference: Letters from three referees are a critical part of the committee's evaluation of applications. One referee must be the thesis advisor and the other two should be researchers who are knowledgeable about the candidate's capabilities and research. Applicants must send the Letter of Reference Request (DOC) to each of the individuals listed as references in their CV.
The application period will open in August 2013.