- Identify an EETD researcher to mentor your proposed research:
Only after coordinating with a proposed EETD research mentor, complete an application online at LBNL's Careers website and upload the following materials:
- See EETD's Research and Development topics
- Look over the links in the sidebar of EETD’s organizational page
- Review the literature in your field
- Make contact with the EETD researcher(s) identified to discuss your research proposal and request their support of your candidacy for the fellowship. It will be helpful to send your CV and a description of your research interests in your initial contact with the researchers.
Supply additional required application materials:
- Curriculum vitae, which must include the names and email addresses for three references. One reference must be the thesis advisor and the other two should be researchers who are knowledgeable about the candidate's capabilities and research.
- Abstract of Ph.D. thesis (1,000 word limit)
- Research proposal (approved by an EETD mentor). In 2-5 pages (12-point Times New Roman font), describe the significance and impact of the proposed research and the advantages of conducting this work with the EETD research mentor who has agreed to support the proposed research. Consider the alignment of the proposed research with the research, mission and goals of EETD. Include a title and bibliographical references, and list the name of the research mentor under the title of the document.
For first-round finalists only: Letters of reference from the three referees listed in the applicant's CV are a critical part of the committee's final evaluation of applications. The selection committee will request these letters on behalf of applicants who pass the first round of review. The applicant will be notified when requests have gone out to their referees, and it will be the applicant's responsibility to ensure that letters are submitted to the EETD selection committee by the date indicated in the notification. Applicants will receive notice when the letters of reference have been received at EETD. Official academic transcripts may also be required at this time.
For the successful candidate only: The selected applicant must show proof of completion of their Ph.D. before their hire date. Examples of acceptable proof include the diploma or an original letter from the degree-granting institution's Graduate Division or Registrar's office confirming completion of all degree requirements. For a recently graduated individual who has not yet received their diploma (but has successfully defended their thesis paper), a thesis title page signed by all members of the thesis committee is acceptable as an interim measure [for 90 days from the date of hire] until the diploma or an original letter from the degree-granting institution's Graduate Division or Registrar's office confirming completion of all degree requirements is available.
- Statement of support from potential research mentor: Applicants complete the top section of the Statement of Support from Research Mentor (DOC) form and email it to their potential research mentor at EETD.
- Transcripts: Unofficial transcripts downloaded from the candidate's academic institution are acceptable during the first round of the selection process. These transcripts must be sent electronically to ITRI-Rosenfeld-Fellowship@lbl.gov, on or before the November 30 application deadline.
The application period is now closed.