EETD Safety Committee Minutes
Meeting of December 17, 2001
4:00 PM, 90-3075
Attendees ("X" indicates present):
||Division Safety Manager (DSM) (Chair)
||Division Safety Coordinator (DSC)
||Deputy Division Director
||Division Business Manager
||EH&S Division Liaison
- Welcome: Introductions, new format
- EETD Safety Committee was reconstituted by Mark Levine, Division Director, on 5/31/02.
- At the recommendation of Don Lucas and Guy, newly structured committee will be more efficient and effective. Will use a targeted approach to issues and communications.
- New Committee will have fewer members, but they are routinely engaged with EH&S issues at various levels of the Division.
- Communications with staff and management will improve by having direct meetings with research groups and Division Council.
- Old format was not effective or an efficient use of member's time. Relying on representatives from each department to communicate with staff didn't work mainly because of no regular meetings on a department level.
- Communicating to the division staff
- Will have group meetings on a regular basis and as issues arise. Will set a quarterly schedule.
- Student memo
- Distributed by Shank and McGraw with concerns about student safety.
- EETD has developed a written Training Policy which incorporates student safety. This document will be distributed division-wide.
- ISSM—Integrated Safeguards and Security Management
- Lab-wide survey is upcoming.
- Structure is similar to Integrated Safety Management (ISM) system.
- JHQ and Training Policy — New policy statement took considerable effort because of uncertainty of faculty. Guy will refine inactive list with Don Grether and Nancy.
- Training completion — Must continue efforts because hard to get staff motivated to do training.
- Campus/lab issues — Addressed in new Division Policy statement.
- Division JHQ — Must continue to have high completion rate.
- Status of ergonomics committee.
- Other business:
- Senior management walkthroughs — Guy will contact Department Heads to schedule.